Sunday 21 July 2013

Electrics moving on...

Well, they are kind of moving on. I haven't posted much about it so far due to been busy and nothing major being completed with any haste. I am finally struggling with the build and it is at the part I knew I was least confident with...the electrics.

I have slowly been working my way through it, blindly but logically getting there. A few things were easy to identify and learning new skills about chopping and re-working wires etc, I have become confident I can split and splice wires and still get them to work. Plus I've learnt a lot about how a circuit works....which when starting with nothing isn't bad going.

Just a quick recap. The place I last left of was looking something like this:


The electrics laid over the car in roughly the right place, plugging in what fits and trying to identify things with the aid of in vehicle positioning, which I must admit, worked better than expected. At this stage, we have the engine cranking and power (of the electrical variety) running through the system.


I think I will start by telling you what I tasked myself to do up until this point in time.
  • Fuel Pumps - Get these pumping fuel through the system, always a good way to check for leaks.
  • Headlights/Sidelights - Might need these I guess
  • Indicators - For decoration, nobody really uses these do they?
  • Cooling Fan - For when speed just isn't enough.
  • Rear Combi-lights - If anyone has kept up, I suppose it's fair to let them know I'm stopping...
  • Reverse light - To show people I'm coming out of the hedge
  • Fog light - Well it is Britain.
  • Engine Running! - Or at least have it ready to run, need to sort out my coolant pipes first though, can't have any left over coolant spewing out!


How the plan actually went...plus problems and the solutions...if any:
  • Fuel Pumps, working...but on occasion they continue to work even with the key removed from the ignition. I sorted it but messing a bit later it has come back, but they work and the wiring isn't complete yet so not an issue currently. They work, that's the main thing.

  • Headlights/sidelights - originally had sidelights as indicators, but solved that (wrong wire, was 50/50) headlights worked....then blew 5 fuses. Became apparent that with twisting the headlights to save walking around the car to check, I had created a short from the connectors due to a lack of individual insulating tape. Sorted it and it all working.

  • Indicators are all working and worked first time including the hazard button. But I will have to adapt that to fit on the car somewhere as it still has the  headlight pop-up switch attached.

  • Cooling fan - is on and wires identified. Just trying to understand what goes where and what fuses are used. May try looking at a working MX5 somewhere...needs more research.

  • Rear Combination Lights need to be 90 degrees to the road, hardest part was doing this myself, much easier with 2 people but it looks there by eye, don't know exactly what the tolerances are though. But they work and brake lights come on at the right time

  • Reverse and Fog lights. Well, I have identified the reverse light wire....I think. Plug it in and see is the option. Fog light, well, I haven't the foggiest (Pun intended) for what wire this is. All I know is that I need a tell tale sign on the dash or button. Looking into that currently, I have a but to use for now though.

  • Engine Running. Well this is where my biggest problem lies. I can't seem to get a spark. This is such a big topic and many pointers for future reference, I will write a separate post for it.
Anyway, slowly but surely it is moving along. Once the engine is running it will mainly be cosmetic items to finish off....depends how quickly GBS can get the things I need to me (hand brake kit, propshaft, throttle cable). Hopefully it will be ready to go for IVA Prep before the end of August!

Picture Time!





Another issue I've been having, more recently, is the flooding of my garage. These tropical thunderstorms are playing havoc! It never seemed to be a problem in the winter....It's ok, I can wheel the car out, sweep the water away (a valuable skill I have perfected - Noah, eat your heart out!) and then work on the car in the sun. It's not the way first choice of enjoying the car in the sun but I'll have plenty of time for that soon.





The rear arches were also put on, there is a strip of trim on the inside between the side panel and the GRP, the tadpole trim I think it's called. flat edged with and tube on the end. Adds quite a nice effect with the orange.










A little bit of a side view of the car, never had one of these before. I must admit, looking at it on the drive like it is, just gives me a great feeling that one day, it will be a full car. Looking good!













Plenty of room for bigger wheels. I will use the standard MX5 wheels to begin, plenty of tread left and the Bank of Zach running low and the Bank of Dad is not open for business. So they can wait. They are currently 195 width, and R14 or R13s I believe. Will look at increasing the width, that's a definite. The radius, well I reckon I can increase an inch or two, but will have to look into the pros and cons.





 
Continuing the 360 (minus a few degrees) view of the car currently. Still no handbrake kit :(

 
 
 
 Looking better and better with every day. Just got to keep wiring a few things in and ensuring everything works. Main hurdle is the engine. Once this is running, this will quickly come to an end. It's been one hell of a learning curve so far, and I have loved every minute. Just can't wait to be able to drive this beauty!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment