Sunday 7 April 2013

Starting to take shape

So right about now I've had roughly 3 weeks on the car working a couple hours in the odd evening plus a couple of full days at the weekend, but probably less with various trips to GBS plus a weekend celebrating my Brother's 18th.

I'll start off with the MX5 shell. It's a sad day as the poor thing's body left the operating theatre of the garage and the full body transplant can now begin. Sadly the shell could not be sold or bought so the local scrappy was called. I know that the shell had to be destroyed by an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATL) for legal purposes, eventually finding a company that would pick it up for free after first refusing for the same reason so many had used: "It's not worthwhile for us". However, the DVLA had told me that they are required by law to collect scrap cars regardless if they are a registered ATL! So free collection and scrapping was arranged. Enjoy the pictures below that halted traffic in the street for 15 minutes!

 A bit of rare help from my Dad, mainly to ensure I didn't kill myself or more importantly, damage the garage he is now planning to sell! We dragged the chassis out using hoist and seatbelt trick again, dragging the hoist for the rear and a trolley jack on the front until clear of the garage.



It took a while but eventually got it out and on axle stands again. Hindsight/tip for anyone else! DO NOT put back on axle stands, it will be easier later to just leave it on the floor...




....because to get to this precarious position, it was just dragged accros the drive, lucky it was gravel and can be swept back neatly!


Finally on the back of the truck pinned down. Such a spectacle to watch being done...but not if I was stuck in the traffic jam waiting. Sorry :)















So now that is done, I can crack on with the build. Saturday afternoon was spent going to GBS after the shell had been picked up to drop off my propshaft, driveshafts and steering column for adaptions. This led to an interesting subject of what cars were used. GBS used a 1996 MX5 Miata (I think it was). Pop Quiz! What car did I use? This should be an easy one for those who have been paying attention.....that's right, 1990 MX5 Eunos Roadster, the Japanese version, essentially the same car but mine is a higher spec. For example, mine had a limited slip diff where GBS' didn't. So fitting it is proving problematic with a greater curve on the top bar. GBS were able to grind this flat, however if I were to do the same, I would lose the material to attach bolts.


One of the other tasks I embarked on was the routing and fitting of the brake lines. This looked to be done really nicely at GBS and given me some great ideas....I think they cheated and used proper tools as mine is nothing like it, but I didn't expect it to be anyway, eitherway, they are in and will do the job just fine. All I'd say is take your time and not to get frustrated. Get a cuppa and have a break if you are.

 




Not a awful but room for improvement. Lesson for the next build when I have more time to perfect every minor detail, I've let this slip as it will be covered up....
 Front tunnel bodywork also in, enclosing the footwell areas quite nicely. It's really starting to take shape now. As seen below.




The steering rack is still not properly secured due to waiting on mounts, plus the track rod ends are still being developed by GBS to ensure the right angles etc are used. However, that didn't stop me fitting the rest of the front wishbones and suspension, however the suspension I am working on getting some decent bolts that won't rattle around like all the bolts I currently have.


And the usual sign off photo from the front of the garage. I will probably put all these into a slideshow to show the progression at the end. See how much spare time I get at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment