Saturday 9 March 2013

One Giant Leap

Today I managed something that I thought would be a huge struggle, however with a helping hand from Adam, a mate from uni, we managed to remove the engine and gearbox (as one) in only a few hours. With neither of us having any experience whatsoever, doing this was a case of looking around and disconnecting everything we could find. We took our time to make sure nothing was missed which would result in breakages, as I said, the key is not to rush.

The starting point was fairly straight forward as there were a few things already removed, most importantly, the radiator which I'd done a previous day. So, with no specific order, we went about removing all the electrical connections and various piping to allow the engine to come out easily.

 Once everything was disconnected, and the crane was taking the strain, the two engine mounts were undone from behind. 1 nut each side was much easier to bring the mounts out too (will probably help very nicely when loading into the kit car). Plus, these bolts behind the wishbones were easier to get at that the 4/5 on the mounts to the engine. One part we missed on removal was the gearstick. It was only when we tried pulling it forward we realised something was catching. Removing the 3 screws and the stick and blanking off the hole with tape, we were back on our way.

 Here we are starting to tilt the engine back with a bit of man-handling to ensure the gearbox comes up without getting damaged on the transmission tunnel. Another set of connections we found were behind the engine block which only came apparent as we could get a better look as it moved out. Same occured with the gearbox which had a few electrical connections and a P-clip holding on the conduit running down the transmission tunnel.
 From this picture to the right, you can see the exhaust manifold is still attached. I aimed to remove this prior to removing the engine however with the limited space, it was left on. This later changed as we lifted the engine further and further out to a stage where I could get a spanner in and remove the braket from the gearbox and get the branch, collector and down pipe off in one go, freeing up a little bit more space for the assembly to be removed.

 
 Here we are, the final straight, finish in sight. The whole assembly out and on the final stages of the removal.

Looking like it's precariously balanced, but is actually clear and being held on the seat belts and crane.

 Success!!! The engine is out and the car now looks much more empty. Well duh, it is empty!


 Resting on the floor, I managed to clear enough space to pull it back.

Seemed like the right thing to do, I can now say I am the powerhouse of an MX5. Already the sense of achievement is building. Who'd have thought back in October when this idea came to me, that I would be stood in the engine bay of the MX5? I must say, I am very surprised myself to have got this far and it really gives me confidence that I have not bitten off more than I can chew. Looking forward to finishing the project now.

















 We could have called it a day there and then but the steering rack and column was now accessible and hoepfully would be an easy job. Turns out, I think I may actually have power steering (something which eluded me whilst driving, obviously faulty). Nevertheless, we cracked on, removing the supporting bracket of the column at the back of the footwell and dashboard bracket, removed the rack supports and then the joint to which they were attached. One of the bolts needed cutting out which gave me the perfect opportunity to use my newly exchanged angle grinder. As sparks flew over the various fluid covered floor and Adam on fire extinguisher standby, it came through with no drama at all.
small large tug from both ends and the rack and column it came undone and is now sat in half.


The last task of the day was to re-fit the camcover to help protect the insides of the engine. If I don't say so myself, a very nice looking finish. Maybe the intake manifold will be the same one day...

Anyway, going home happy tonight, this is a giant leap forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment